Request a call from one of our professionals today


Dual Occupancy


Dual occupancy properties are an excellent way to increase the value of your property.

But creating a dual occupancy is different from adding a secondary dwelling, or a granny flat—these are entirely different projects. A dual occupancy involves two autonomous dwellings on one title, that are either attached by a wall, or both detached.

A dual occupancy can be a consideration when:

  • You’re looking at building from scratch on a new block of land
  • You have an existing property you want to knock down and rebuild
  • You want to build a new dwelling behind your existing house

But if you’re looking to build a dual occupancy on your property, the first step is ensuring you’re actually able to. There are specific standards that your property must meet, which include:

  • Your property must be located in an R2, R3, R4, or B1 zoned area in order for council to allow you to build a dual occupancy
  • Your block must meet specific dimension requirements, which we can check for you
  • Your construction must meet specific Council dimensions
  • Buildings require a minimum setback from property boundaries, as determined by your Council
  • Each dwelling must face a public road
  • Each dwelling must have at least one off-street parking spot available

So if you’re looking at building a dual occupancy on your block, your first step is to speak with the experts.

CIVAC makes acquiring your dual occupancy development approvals easy. Here’s how we do it.



Got questions about your dual occupancy development approval? We’ve got answers.

Talk to us about your dual occupancy construction plans.

No matter the size, scope, or complexity, CIVAC is here to help make your new dual occupancy a success. Ready to get started? Send us your project details in the fields below, and one of our friendly team will be in touch to discuss your next steps.

What sort of work are you doing?
Max. file size: 20 MB.